Self love doesn’t always come easy, we can always love ourselves a little more don’t you think?
I want my daughter to develop self love early. I want her to know from now and forever that she is loveable and enough and she can view herself positively in the world.
Here are my ten ways that I teach her to self love:
- Tell her she is loved often.
- Show her that you love yourself and encourage her to love herself too.
- Complement what she does well more than how she looks. Every time you tell her she looks beautiful match it with 2 complements unrelated to appearance.
- Teach her that true beauty comes from the inside of her heart not how she looks or what she wears.
- Talk to her and show examples of the toxic messages sent by the media in society about women’s appearance.
- Tell her that she’s unique and that no one in this whole wide world is like her.
- Help her identify and celebrate her strengths
- Teach her to be kind to herself. Let her know that humans are not perfect and that making mistakes is how we learn.
- Show her that you take care of yourself and encourage her to do the same. It could be exercising together, getting your nails done together or sharing a healthy smoothie together.
- If she’s in preschool up to grade 2, you can read to her I Like Myself by Karen Beaumont. It’s perfect for developing self love. I give it 5 Stars!